Posted by Nydia Streets of Streets Law in Child Support

When a parent who owes Florida child support won’t pay, what’s the other parent to do? If the parent who owes support has a professional license or certificate, one remedy may be to petition a Miami child support court to suspend that license or certificate. 

Examples of professional licenses and certificates are cosmetology licenses, notary certification and a bar license. People with these licenses usually depend on them to make a living. If a parent has exhausted all other remedies for enforcement of a support order, a court might determine suspension is warranted. 

Before a license can be suspended, the parent owed support must give notice to the owing parent that he or she intends to petition for suspension. The owed parent must also offer the owing parent the chance to come to an agreement on payment of past-due support.  

If the owing parent doesn’t respond, doesn’t pay or can’t reach an agreement with the other parent, the court will consider suspending a license. A court may find that suspension is inappropriate if:

 (a) Denial or suspension would result in irreparable harm to the obligor or employees of the obligor or would not accomplish the objective of collecting the delinquency; or

(b) The obligor demonstrates that he or she has made a good faith effort to reach an agreement with the obligee.

See Fla. Stat. 61.1315.

If you are owed support that is not being paid or you have fallen behind on your payments and fear suspension of your professional license, it is important to discuss your case with a Miami child support lawyer. More effective alternatives may be available that both sides should explore.